In order to ensure compliance with Canada’s copyright law and the Fair Dealing Guidelines , it is important that both principals and teachers understand their responsibilities with respect to copyright. To help ensure compliance, use the checklists below.
A PRINCIPAL'S RESPONSIBILITY
- Review copyright with teachers and staff at least once a year.
- Post the Fair Dealing Guidelines and the poster prohibiting the copying of consumables near all school photocopiers, scanners, print stations, and other devices used to reproduce copyright-protected material.
- Provide teachers and staff with copies of the Fair Dealing Guidelines and Copyright Matters!
- Seek school-board or ministry guidance when it is not clear whether copyright permission is required.
A TEACHER'S RESPONSIBILITY
- Set an example of respect for copyright for your students.
- Know and respect the limits of the Fair Dealing Guidelines.
- Know your rights and obligations under copyright law. (Have a working knowledge of the users’ rights described in Copyright Matters!)
- Know the procedure for seeking copyright advice and obtaining permission.
Download a copy of the compliance checklists here